Eleanor May Morris, a pioneer in using conservation easements to save open space, died peacefully at her home in Pughtown on Sunday, September 11, 2011. She was 92 and was the widow of former state Representative Samuel W. Morris.
A resident of South Coventry Township for 65 years, Mrs. Morris was very active in politics, land conservation, historic preservation, and many facets of community life.
Her deepest commitment was to conserving open space. In 1967, she and her husband founded the French and Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust. The mission of the Trust was to preserve open space in the watersheds of the two creeks, as well as historic buildings and communities. It was among the first organizations in the nation to promote the preservation of open space through the use of conservation easements, a novel approach at that time. Under her leadership, the Trust convened national conferences on open space preservation to share innovative techniques with others.
Mrs. Morris was the driving force behind the Trust from its founding until 2002 and served as President for 30 years. During her tenure, the Trust permanently preserved over 7,000 acres through donated and purchased conservation easements as well as public/private partnerships. In addition, it placed over 60 sites and districts on the National Register of Historic Places.
"Eleanor Morris was passionate about land preservation and relentlessly took on developers to save beautiful pieces of land in perpetuity," said Brenda Barrett, former Director of the Bureau of Recreation and Conservation of Pennsylvania's Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. "She battled with townships over prospective developments long before saving land was popular, but she also forged alliances with governmental entities in pursuit of preserving land for future generations."
Mrs. Morris graduated from The Shipley School, attended Radcliffe College, and earned two degrees in American history from Bryn Mawr College, a B.A. in 1941 and a M.A. in 1970. Her great interest in Colonial history was instrumental in her historic preservation efforts.
Eleanor and Sam Morris moved to Lundale Farm in northern Chester County in 1946. They established a dairy herd and raised sheep, pigs, beef, chickens and vegetables.
While Sam practiced law in Philadelphia, Eleanor was immersed in their expanding family and community activities. She served as Den Mother to the local Cub Scout Troop, and for many years as a Boy Scout Citizenship Merit Badge counselor. She founded the Friendly Fellowship, a program for elderly neighbors.
Mrs. Morris became involved in the Chester County Democratic Party shortly after moving to the South Coventry and served as a Committeeperson for 60 years. When Mr. Morris ran on the Democratic ticket for the Pennsylvania Legislature, she threw herself into managing his campaigns. He was elected in 1970 and served as the state representative for the 155th District for 18 years. Throughout that time, Mrs. Morris was his chief strategist and tireless supporter.
"Farming, land preservation, and politics were completely intertwined for Eleanor and Sam Morris," said State Senator Andy Dinniman. "As just one example, Sam was the prime sponsor in the General Assembly of a bill that laid the foundation for the purchase of development rights in agricultural security areas. Over 1,500 farms have been saved in Pennsylvania as a result, and many states followed Pennsylvania's model. Eleanor was enmeshed in all Sam's legislative work. They were a great team, and because of their vision and efforts, thousands of acres will remain in open space forever."
Mrs. Morris' interest in preserving land, streams, and history coalesced when the French and Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust acquired an 18th century flour mill and the land surrounding it in Chester Springs to save the property from development. She was a founding member of The Mill at Anselma Preservation and Education Trust when the mill, now a National Historic Landmark, was spun off as a separate not-for-profit organization.
Mrs. Morris served on the Valley Forge Park Commission and was deeply involved in the transfer of the park from the state to the National Park Service in 1976. In addition, she was instrumental in founding the Great Valley Nature Center in Charlestown, PA. She was long-time member of the Board of Preservation Action, a nationwide advocacy group.
Mrs. Morris received many awards for her work, including the Pennsylvania Environmental Council Curtin Winsor Award in 2008; Democratic Party of Chester County Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007; You Make a Difference Community Service Award presented by the Coatesville Area N.A.A.C.P. Branch in 2004; Distinguished Alumni Award from The Shipley School in 2000; An Outstanding Woman in Historic Preservation Award from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in 1999; Eleanor Houston Smith Conservation Award from The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education in 1996; and Preservationist of the Year from the State Historic Preservation Board of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in 1981.
Mrs. Morris is survived by children Samuel W. Morris, Jr. (Carolyn), Barbara Morris Caspersen, Eleanor Morris Illoway (Stock), George M. J. Morris (Vicky), Cooper H. Morris (Wendy), Laura Morris Siena (Ron), Christopher L. Morris (Daryl), and Ozzie Abaye, who joined the family in 1979; 17 grandchildren; 9 great-grandchildren; and sisters Anita Kuhn and Elise Felton.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 pm Friday, September 16 at the Lionville Fire Company. Remembrances of Eleanor's life will be offered at 7:00 pm. A funeral service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on September 17, 2011 at St. Peter's Church in the Great Valley, 2475 St. Peter's Road, Malvern, PA (stpetersgv.org).
The family asks that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Lundale Farm, Inc., a nonprofit organization founded to promote the Morrises' legacy in land preservation and farming, c/o The Barn Office, 1153 Ridge Road, Pottstown, PA 19465, or the French and Pickering Creeks Conservation Trust, 511 Kimberton Road, Phoenixville, PA 19460.